Few years ago, about 5 years to be precised, quail farming was at its top but as the years goes by its popularity went down and the number of farmers participating in the breading of quail for egg and for its meat went down drastically.
This can be linked to many factors, among the factors are lack of technical know how, availability of resources which is mostly is as a result of funds (capital) and poor sanitation, etc.Before discussing about commercial quail farming business proper, lets first explain ‘what is quail farming?’
Quail farming means raising quails commercially, (like other poultry birds) for the major purpose of profitable eggs and meat production.Contrary to what people generally believed, quail farming business is very easy to do, it is lucrative and enjoyable. It’s very easy to maintain a quail farm, because quails are among the smallest species of poultry birds. They are easy to maintain because they are not susceptible to disease like other poultry birds.
According to history of quail birds breeding, the Japanese scientists were the first to tame the wild quails, study them and revealed the best practices in raising them as domestic birds. Commercial quail farming in Japan has spread tremendously.
Now, people all over the world are executing quail farming business commercially for the purpose of meat and egg production.
Quail farming is very profitable like other farming ventures, such as chicken, turkey or duck farming business. Almost all types of weather conditions are suitable for starting quail farming business. Although they need about 14 to about 18hours of light to lay eggs maximally.
Apart from monetary potentials, meat and eggs of quail are very tasty and nutritious. Quail eggs are very nutritious than other poultry eggs. For the reason that quail eggs contain relatively more protein, phosphorus, iron, vitamin A, B1 and B2.
- Below are some benefits of quail farming:
- Quails are smaller sized poultry birds, and it’s very easy to handle them. The main benefits of starting quail farming business are listed below.
- Quails are smaller sized bird, so they can be raised within small place.
- Feeding cost of quails is comparatively lower than chickens or other poultry birds.
- Quails can be raised along with your other poultry birds for meat or eggs production.
- Diseases are less in quails, and they are very hardy.
- Quails grow very fast and gain maturity faster than any other poultry birds.
- They start laying eggs within their 6 to 7 weeks of age.
- It takes about 16 to 18 days to hatch their eggs.
- Meat and eggs of quail are very tasty, delicious and nutritious. So it’s a great source of food and nutrition. Quail farming can play a vital role to meet up the demand of food and nutrition.
- Quail farming needs small capital, and labor cost is very low.
- Quails can be raised successfully in commercial method. Some people have already started commercial quail farming business.
- Quails are very strong bird and diseases or other health problems are less. So risks are less in this business.
- Quail meat contains less fat. So, it is suitable for high blood pressure patients.
- Their food to meat or eggs converting efficiency is satisfactory. They can produce one kg meat or eggs by consuming three kg food.
- You can raise 6 to 7 quails in the same place that is required for one chicken.
- As the quail eggs are smaller in size, so the price is also lower than other bird’s egg. As a result, all types of people can buy quail eggs and you can easily sell the eggs.
- As the primary costs are less, so you can start this business with a very little investment.
- You can raise about 6 to 8 quails within 0.91 square meter area.
- As it is a lucrative business venture, so commercial quail farming business can be a great source of income and employment for the unemployed educated people. Even, you can start raising a few quails along with your current profession.
- Quail eggs has been used in the management of many chronic diseases, among them are hypertension, Gastric Ulcers, diabetes, Arthritis, Cancer, Anemia, sickle cell, fertility problem, post-menopausal issue, boost sexual potency both in men and women, Bronchitis, Chronic Stress and even HIV.
- Quail droppings can be converted and used for crop fertilization on the farm.
- Also quail egg shells can be treated, grinded and can be used as calcium supplement for animal feeds. This turn cut down the need to purchase other expensive form of calcium supplement during feed mixing.
- As a small quail farmer who is planning on expanding into commercial form of agriculture, you can invest in small incubator for mass production of quail chicks in order to reduce the cost of buying or sourcing from other farmer at a very expensive price.
Thanks for reading the article. please if it bless you I will appreciate you SHARE it on your social media network and also drop your COMMENTS.